Do you dream of opening a restaurant? Vibrate in creating a comfortable space, with a pleasant service and well prepared food? Before you start check out our tips!
Type of Restaurant
Initially the type of restaurant must be defined, what concept and environment it is intended to create. This vision of the intended restaurant should be clear and objective, as this will make it easier when making decisions. For example:
- Do you want to open a typical Portuguese barbecue or a vegetarian restaurant?
- Will you choose a relaxed environment or a more formal space?
- Will you have a dish of the day or just a menu service?
- Will the menu be fixed or will it vary according to the season?
- Will you offer a variety of drinks or just some options?
The answer to these questions helps to define the type of restaurant, what environment and what kind of meals will be served. It also helps in the choice of space, as well as in hiring staff.
The choice of location is crucial to the success of the intended restaurant. Will you choose a shopping center store or a street restaurant? To make the right choice for the type of restaurant you want, evaluate the following points:
- How many people frequent the area and what is their age group?
- What is the rent?
- Is there parking nearby?
- What infrastructures are there?
- What works need to be done?
The licensing of a restaurant is simple, especially due to the simplified system of installation and operation approved by the State – Zero Licensing. Thus, to open a restaurant it is only necessary to communicate, at the Entrepreneur’s Desk, the opening or modification of the business.
For financial and fiscal matters, consider hiring an accountant. This ensures that you meet all existing fiscal and legal obligations.
It is very important to draw up a detailed business plan that includes initial investment expenses, how long it takes to recover this amount and what the associated monthly fixed costs are:
- Kitchen equipment and dining area;
- Remodeling and decoration works of the space;
- Air conditioning, sound and image system;
- Computer equipment and software;
- Licenses and charges with the incorporation of the company;
- Unforeseen costs.
- Employee salaries;
- Income from space;
- Loan payment (if necessary);
- Space expenses (water, electricity, gas, telephone, television and internet);
- Cleaning services;
- Accounting services;
- Insurance and payment of taxes due;
- Equipment maintenance.
Funding is also a key point that must be considered. To finance the initial investment there are several options available:
- Bank credit – consult the various banks and carefully analyze their proposals;
- Microcredit – alternative financing to bank credit;
- IEFP support – with access to credit lines such as Microinvest and Invest+;
- Risk Capital;
- Crowfunding – online collaborative financing;
- Financing for young entrepreneurs – Financing.
It is extremely important to have a certified invoicing program that meets the needs of the restaurant, allowing, for example, management of rooms and tables and orders for the kitchen. This is the case of Vendus – online invoicing software – which works on Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, IOS, laptop, cell phone and tablet:
- Fast and without installation required;
- Low cost monthly or annual payment;
- Purchase management;
- Room and table management;
- Presentation of statistics and reports;
- Compatible with ticket printers and A4 printers;
- Free updates;
- Support by phone, email and chat.